February 27, 2009

I'm a break it down for ya

"Hip hop is the culture from which rap emerged. Initially it consisted of four main elements; graffiti art, break dancing, dj (cuttin' and scratching) and emceeing (rapping). Hip hop is a lifestyle with its own language, style of dress, music and mind set that is continuously evolving. Nowadays because break dancing and graffiti aren't as prominent the words 'rap' and 'hip hop' have been used interchangeably. However it should be noted that all aspects of hip hop culture still exists. They've just evolved onto new levels." - http://www.funk-the-system.net/hiphopearlydays.html



So there you go. Hip/hop defined. It's a whole separate culture not a music genre. But then again, I guess it is a music genre too. Groups like The Black Eyed Peas I would consider a hip/hop group not a rap group. Anyone agree with me or am I just not feelin' it? When I donned sunglasses and muttered bits of "Ice Baby" at eight years old I was in fact part of hip/hop. I was partaking in a rapidly evolving culture that would transform pop culture, contributing to the fashion world, the art world, and the English language. Nor ever did I realize when I was dancing to beats from Dc Talk that rap would one day other throw brutal governments. (More on how rap music has been monumental in bringing down bloody regimes in Africa in later blogs) Hip/hop was so much more than I originally thought when I first became for cognitive of the beats in my box. It was not just a fun way for the American underdog to lyrically slay opponents, welfare, and gang violence. The birth of hip/hop signaled supernova of change that continues to inspire, empower, and captivate all levels of cultures the world over.

I may not can say I grew up to the beats of Biggie Smalls and the Wu-Tang Clan but I can proudly say that even as a little, Southern, rural, white girl in an extremely small town I sensed and embraced the spirit of hip/hop. I grasped that it was something big, that it was changing things

"Can you believe it? Get a break and get off the streets,
Clear my mind from the shit I see.
In a world full of smoke. Contact from the weed
Thats when it really dawned on me. I'm a be here for life.
I ain't never gonna leave. The ghetto is all that I know
It's just another day in the hood my nigga playing back trying get this dough
Yellin out ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
All up in the club and you know how we roll
Squad deep like ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Bad little bitches with their booty on score trying to beat likeOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Know your ass feel it cause its outta control.
Let me hear you say ohhhhhhhhhhhhh
Let me hear you say ohhhhhhhh ohhhhh
Can you believe it?"....................
Introduce you to the street life.
Watch you fall in love after just one night Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh
All up in the club And you know how we roll, squad deep like ohhhhhhhhhhh.................
Can you believe it?"
- Akon "Can You Believe It?"







No comments:

Post a Comment